Well we are now in the week of Gen Con 2018, which is North America’s largest game convention. I have been browsing the Gen Con Preview list on boardgamegeek.com since Origins Game Fair , keeping up to date with games that will be releasing. I have compiled a list of anticipated games that are releasing that I am looking to explore while at Gen Con. I also have some games pre-ordered that I wanted to make sure I was able to get right away. So without further ado…. lets take a look.
First, games that I have pre-ordered:
- Arboretum (Renegade Games) – Designer Dan Cassar. I already own the Z-Man version but I am wanting the new artwork from Beth Sobel. Plus a second copy can facilitate multiple games running on game days.
- Gunkimono (Renegade Games) Designer Jeffrey Allers. I own Heartland and I like the Feudal Japan theme. Plus there are some rule revisions in addition to the retheme.
- Wendake (Renegade Games) Designer Danilo Sabia. This game was on my interest list from Essen 2017. I like the theme and the mechanics interest me so I jumped on it when it came up for order.
Anticipated Games List
Here are the games I am most interested in that are releasing or supposed to be releasing at Gen Con.
7 Wonders Armada – Repos Production
I saw a sort of vague post from Repos Productions in regards to this being at Gen Con. It was being demoed at Origins Game Fair and this expansion is ready to be released. 7 Wonders is one of my favorite games and the Armada expansion now allows players to interact with more than just their neighbors. This is a must have for me.
Coimbra – Eggertspiele
I like euro games and the dice drafting mechanic has my interest for this one. The designers also worked on Lorenzo il Magnifico and Egizia. This is my #1 most anticipated game that is releasing at Gen Con.
Catalyst – dV Giochi
I am a fan of engine building games and this one also promises strong card combinations. There is a goal that is revealed at the beginning of the game that can alter strategies from game to game. The one thing that has my interest for this is that you build up a bunch of stuff and then set off a chain of actions.
Piepmatz – Lookout Games
This game was described as being in the same vain as Arboretum mixed with Parade….both games I enjoy quite a bit. I am willing to take a chance on this game despite the fact I am not wild about the designers. But hey maybe they can finally make a game I like. And the artwork is amazing.
Newton – CMON
Newton…Deck Building and Hand Management…YES!!!
I like the setting of the game being during the Age of Discovery. Solid designers with some games like Lorenzo il Magnifico, Tzolk’in, Grand Austria Hotel. Plus Cranio Creations which is the publisher has put out some great games.
Spirits of the Wild – Mattel Games
This one was one of the later announced releases and this 2-player game seems pretty cool with the stone-taking mechanism. Players collect sets of stones and also use animal spirits to help them. The coyote adds some interaction between the players. Plus this has a low cost which is even better.
Carson City: The Card Game – Quined Games
I like trick taking games and this is added to make a shorter version of a western theme game that I am interested in. Plus I like the designer and this one should be a hit.
Other Releases of Note
There are some other games and expansions that are releasing that have my interest in checking out maybe picking up:
- Clank! In Space: Apocalypse (Renegade Games) – seems to be a neat expansion for the base game that adds another level of difficulty.
- Downforce: Danger Circuit (Restoration Games) – New track + new abilitiesKingdomino: Age of Giants (Blue Orange Games)- Adds 5th Player and makes drafting a bit more interesting with the GiantsPioneers (Queen Games) – going off of a recommendation from a friend that I would like this one
- Micropolis (Surfin Meeple) – I like Bruno Cathala and Charles Chevallier as a duo. They did Abyss. This one seems pretty neat as well.